This was my husband, Luke’s, birthday weekend. Since we were married in May, this was his first birthday with me as his wife. So, of course, I had to make it special. First of all, to give you a bit of background, this man is my best friend in the world. We went to high school together and became best friends in college. I had the biggest crush on him for YEARS, but he just viewed me as his best friend. We traveled 500 miles back and forth in order to visit each other, as we went to colleges in different states. Finally, that friendship turned into a relationship and, after nearly 2 years of dating (1 year of that being long distance), we were married.
I have more fun with this man than anyone else in the world. With him I can be crazy with and feel completely comfortable.
And he shows me more love than anyone else ever could.
So, as an early birthday present (and as a reward for signing our last client) I decided that he should be able to finally get his dream car. A 2011 Mustang with interior lights and an upgraded stereo system. We haven’t driven my Honda Civic since we bought the car.
Now, one of my husband’s favorite things that I make for him is chicken salad. Actually, that’s the first thing that we ever made together, several weeks after we started dating, in his little house on a busy street in Nashville. We have a lot of memories associated with chicken salad.
It’s one of those recipes in which all of the ingredient amounts are “to taste”. But I’ll give you some general estimates 🙂
We’ve had it on bread toasted in the skillet (it’s delicious warmed), with our favorite vegetable soup, or, as in this case, on a warm, buttery croissant.
- Approx. 1/3 of a large red onion, diced
- Celery, diced, to taste
- Red or green grapes, to taste
- Slivered almonds or walnuts, to taste
- Dried cranberries, to taste
- 3-4 cups shredded or diced chicken. My favorite is Tyson Grilled and Ready
- Mayo or Greek yogurt, to taste
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Croissants (Optional) For a lactose-free version, try Big and Flaky Crescents
- Tomato, sliced (Optional)
- Lettuce (Optional)
- Toss onion, celery, grapes, nuts, cranberries and chicken together.
- Add mayo or Greek yogurt and stir well.
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Make into sandwiches on the croissants or bread of your choice. Add your optional toppings.